Apple iPhone 6s Plus review
|Review: September 2015
Last updated September 2015
In a nutshell: The iPhone 6s Plus comes with a faster A9 processor, a 12 megapixel camera with 4K video recording, and Apple's new 3D Touch feature. It's also been substantially strengthened to avoid problems with bending, making it a lot heavier than the 6 Plus. Although it's a a wonderful piece of tech in many ways, it's phenomenally expensive.
We're not going to review the iPhone 6s Plus in detail here, as it's simply a larger version of the iPhone 6s, so read our detailed review of the 6s here.
The iPhone 6s Plus looks almost identical to the 6 Plus. On closer inspection, it's a little thicker - closer to 7.5mm than 7mm, and a lot heavier. In fact it's heavier than any of its rival phablets from other manufacturers. The reason for this big increase in weight is the extra metal Apple has been forced to add to the casing to avoid problems with the phone bending (as happened with the iPhone 6 Plus.) The new 3D Touch feature also adds to the weight.
The 6 Plus was already too big and heavy for many users, and we're guessing that the increased weight will make this too heavy for most people. Its nearest rival, the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+, is nearly 40g lighter! The Edge+ is smaller, thinner and has a bigger screen too. Not that numbers ever swayed anyone from buying an Apple product.
The new phone comes in a wider choice of colours - Silver, Space Grey, Gold and Rose Gold, and is available in 16GB, 64GB and 128GB versions. We'd advise that the 16GB version will be too limiting, as there's no memory expansion card slot.
While it's nice to have a larger screen in an iPhone, and the 6s Plus also has optical image stabilisation and a larger battery than the iPhone 6s, this comes at the expense of significantly more size and weight. It costs a lot more too.
The price of the 6s Plus is quite eye-watering. If you want it free, you'll be signing up to a two-year contract at £70 per month, which is just ridiculous. No other phone comes anywhere near this cost, and that's why we can't rate it higher than 3 stars.
Apple iPhone 6s Plus features include:
- iOS 9 Operating System
- 12 megapixel camera with touch autofocus, True Tone flash, auto HDR, BSI sensor and optical image stabilisation, 4K video recording
- Front camera: 5 megapixels with HD (720p) FaceTime video calling
- 5.5 inch Retina HD display: 1920 x 1080 pixels IPS touchscreen with 3D Touch
- Music player
- Siri intelligent assistant
- Fingerprint identity sensor built into the Home button
- Messaging: SMS, MMS, email
- Assisted GPS and GLONASS with digital compass and Maps app
- Processor: A9 chip with 64-bit architecture and embedded M9 motion coprocessor
- Memory: 16GB, 64GB or 128GB plus iCloud
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.2, USB 2.0, Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac with MIMO), NFC, 3.5mm headphone jack
- Quad-band GSM (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz) plus UMTS/HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz) plus 4G LTE
- Size: 158 x 78 x 7.3 mm
- Weight: 192g
- Video playback: 14 hours
Sorry - questions and comments on this page are now closed.
Apple iPhone 6s Plus user reviews
Sorry - reviews and comments on this page are now closed.